General Plan Amendment 2040
The City of Modesto is amending its General Plan. The Master Environmental Impact Report, which is the companion document to the General Plan, will also be updated as part of the project. Project objectives are as follows:
- Comply with new State and Federal laws;
- Increase acreage for Business Park and related revenue-generating and jobs-producing land use types within the Sphere-of-Influence to promote economic development;
- Provide improved transportation alternatives, including transit, bicycle & pedestrian facilities;
- Facilitate an improved mix of land uses to reduce vehicle miles traveled by locating residential land uses close to employment, retail and services;
- Promote infill development;
- Provide framework for intensified development in Modesto’s downtown area;
- Align Modesto’s land use and transportation goals and policies;
- Establish a realistic set of assumptions for infrastructure needs and funding;
- Facilitate complete, safe and walkable neighborhoods;
- Provide for a variety of transportation options;
- Promote equitable, affordable housing;
- Support existing neighborhoods / communities; and,
- Maintain the 1995 General Plan and Sphere-of-Influence boundaries upon adoption of the 2040 General Plan Amendment.
New goals, policies and exhibits that support and promote these project objectives have been written into the draft General Plan amendment documentation. The draft Master Environmental Impact Report contains the analyses required by the California Environmental Quality Act.
The formal public hearings toward adoption of the General Plan Amendment 2040 project, along with certification of the Master Environmental Impact Report update, will begin at the regularly-scheduled Planning Commission meeting of Monday, January 28, 2019. This public hearing will be held at Modesto City Hall, 1010 Tenth Street, in the basement Council chambers. The City Council is expected to consider the Planning Commission’s recommendation for the project in March of 2019. All interested parties and stakeholders are invited to attend these public hearings and participate in the process.
Documents & Resources
Notice of Availability and draft Chapters for the General Plan Amendment and draft Master Environmental Impact Report.Link to page
Public Review & Comments
The 45-day public review / comment period for the Draft Master Environmental Impact Report began on June 25, 2018, and concluded on August 10, 2018.Link to page